Why are rain gutters important and how they work.
Protect Your Property
A properly installed rain gutter system is important to diverts rainwater away from your home. When gutters are not installed, removed, damaged or obstructed, the water coming from your roof can ruin virtually any part of your home.
Rain gutter systems reduce water and moisture damage to your home.
Why Do I need Rain Gutters
According to www.soundhome.com we need gutter systems “in order to help reduce water and moisture damage to our homes.”
But why? Won’t that water just roll off my roof? Problem solved, right?
Wrong — that’s actually part of the problem:
Modern homes are designed to conserve or “trap” energy. That’s good. But in the process, such homes can also trap moisture and that can cause big problems and costly damage. For example, if the soil around the foundation is soaked from roof drainage water, we can assume that at least some of that moisture will find its way into the basement or the concrete floor. Some of this moisture will then be absorbed by the air in the home.
If this moisture saturated air finds itself into some spaces with cold surfaces — and it will, then some of this moisture will condense against these cold surfaces…Condensation in the ceiling and walls can cause fungal wood-rot and that can be very expensive to repair.
Reduce water and Moisture Damage to your home
other key areas of your home vulnerable to water damages are:
- Where the roof meets the walls. Without effective gutters, wind-driven rain coming off the roof can enter the ceiling, or travel down inside the exterior walls. And also on the outside, repeated downpours can ruin the siding, or stain the brick or stone facade.
- Around the foundation perimeter. If not routed away, Rainwater runoff can cause shifts in the soil, foundation cracking and interior flooding. If your HVAC ductwork is embedded in the slab—a common practice in older homes—rainwater seepage can cause corrosion and mold growth in the ducts.
How rain gutter system Protect Your Home:
- Soil around the foundation stays stable, which prevents flooding under the slab, soil erosion and damage to the turf and landscape plantings.
- Exterior siding and masonry are protected against damage from repeated downpours of water.
- Driveway, sidewalks and patios are less likely to settle or crack.
- Roof edge and fascia boards don’t deteriorate.
- Risk is reduced for hazardous mold growth in the ceiling, walls or ducts.
Benefits of Rain Gutters
1. It makes the soil around the house stable and prevent foundation issues. .
2. Protects your exterior wall from water damage.
3. Reduces need for repaint.
4. Increase valuation of your property ( + curb appeal).
5. Fascia protection.
6. Prevent driveway, walkway and concrete slab cracking.
7. Keep your entrance dry when it’s raining.
8. Protect landscape
9. Prevent soil erosion
10. Water collection for later use
Want to share your experience, good or bad? We are welcome all feedback. Please contact us today.
Talk to Us
Please call 777-765-4321. We are here Monday thru Friday from 8am EST to 5pm EST.
A functional gutter system must keep rain water away from your house!
Even if your gutters are in full working order, water from downspouts must be directed away from your foundation. Water can crack and crumble your foundation and cause major structural damage. A properly working drainage system is essential to prevent water damage.
Some common DIY solutions are:
Extend your downspouts four to eight feet away from the foundation to keep water flowing away from your house. Downspout extenders are very affordable and can be bought at www.raincache.ng/shop/ They might not be an option in neighborhoods where homes are close together.
An eco-friendly, space-saving option. Prices for rain barrels typically range from NGN4000 to NGN8000, depending on size and style.
It rains alot in Nigeria and you need a rainwater system to protect your building against water damage.
Find out how much it rains in your city from our next article.
If you have a property anywhere in Nigeria, please feel free to call us at +2348140402998 and have us help you protect your properties against water damage. You can also send us a mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.